identify cedar chest

See the following articles: During the 1900’s there were two main competing companies that were producing cedar chests. Following his death in 1906, his company was taken over by his eldest son Otto. I bought an old cedar chest from an antique store in my hometown and trying to get some questions answered about it. The bottom of their chests also has the model # and serial number (which, read backwards, is the month, day and year it was made).

you read and agreed to the, What is the value of a lane cedar chest from 1950 or 1960, What is the value of a Virginia maid cedar chest with a 1958 serial number. It i... What Is the value of a "bluebird" cedar chest , manufactured by Dillingham ... Lane cedar hope chest Lane Cedar Chest Style No. There are exceptions to this serial numbering method, as there are some rare finds that are read from left to right. Determine Its Age. Another cause for their decline in popularity, is that most homes now have built in linen closets and less floor space. Provide additional protection by wrapping fabrics in white cotton or washed unbleached muslin sheets, and store papers in none porous containers such as glass jars, or metal and plastic boxes. Keep in mind that these were not the only variations of their marks. Can you tell me anything thing about this model. They fell out of popularity however as we found other ways of managing months. 2175190. Thanks to climate control technology improving, and with the introduction of better pest control, we are able to keep moths away from our possessions much more easily. Hummel Figurines and Collectibles Value Chart - Hummel Price Guide. 2404-23, Serial No.

Following Edward Roos death in 1943, and the government restrictions placed upon the company during World War 2. The truth is that there are no replacement keys for these old locks. So if the date does not make sense when read right to left, try reading it left to right, you just might be in for a surprise. All Lane cedar chests have a serial number.

you read and agreed to the, What is the value of a lane cedar chest from 1950 or 1960, What is the value of a Virginia maid cedar chest with a 1958 serial number. PAT APPLDF?? Both of whom produced their designs in bulk, and both still having some rare designs that carry value among collectors today. Cedar chests also had many practical uses besides storage. Some locksmiths may even have replica keys in stock that they might be able to modify to function in your lock. If done incorrectly, not only could you break the lock, you might cause damage to the chest, or cause yourself an injury. 2245 53 Serial No. Just take the chest to your local locksmith or antiques dealer instead. I have a Lane cedar chest style 02852 made in 1952. While a hand crafted piece would have more roughly cut and uneven dovetail joints. Your email address will not be published. Anything produced after the 1940’s can be expected to go for around $100.00 USD, Chests produced between 1920-1940 may cost between $200.00-$400.00 USD, Rare chests with serial numbers that are read left to right may cost $400.00-$600.00 USD, depending on the model, Rare and decorative chests may go for as much as $700.00 USD, if it is in good condition with all of its original hardware, An average of $100.00-$150.00 USD for the basic models, The rarer and more decorative models may go for as much as $300.00-$500.00 USD.

To prevent the staining of items stored inside the chests, make sure that inside of the chest is lined with a mylar or polyethylene sheeting. Expected cost for a Lane Cedar Chests is: Originally known as the Roos Manufacturing Co. that was situated in Chicago, was established in 1871 by Edward Roos. The cedar keeps out moths and other insects, but … Required fields are marked *. You can read the serial number BACKWARDS to determine the production date. Just make sure that the chemicals in the cleaning agent won’t dissolve the finish that’s on your chest. They began by producing curtain rods and wooden boxes. The Lane Furniture Company and the Ed Roos Company of Forest Park. A machine produced piece, would have clean lined and flush finished dovetail joints. I have a ed roos cedar chest model number 3050. By entering this site you declare

The first number shown, or seventh if reading for the date, is an additional number that may be present. Finding reliable information on pre-twentieth produced cedar chests is hard to come by. Clean lines, a shimmering finish and exquisite craftsmanship with natural woods make an authentic Biedermeier chest an instant focal point in any setting. The company fell on hard times and was sold off in 1951, only to be closed four years later in 1955. It could be a ROOS, CAVALIER or other mfr. As such, chest made after 1987 had replaced this locking system, with safety locks instead. NATL LOCK C?? A: Cedar chests have been used to store things for hundreds of years. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Perform regular dusting and keep the surface of the wood away from any hard or edged objects that could cause contact damage. Wring out a soft cloth so that it is damp, not wet and gently wipe down the surface. As there was an overlapping period where both companies were producing cedar chests prior to 1918. Just as with most furniture, it is best to use the correct cleaning method that is suitable for the timber’s finish.

It is unclear which year they began the production of their cedar chests, but by 1916 the youngest son Edwards, created the Roos Cedar Chest Company, before changing the name to Ed Roos Company of Forest Park in 1918. If there is a risk that the feet or base of the chest may stain the surface that it rests upon. The bottom of their chests also has the model # and serial number (which, read backwards, is the month, day and year it was made). I have a lane cedar chest Serial number 0740321 style number 2231. 2175190. It's nice circa 1930's Waterfall style. This means that household cedar wood based products that repel insects are no longer as sort after as they once was. I have a lane cedar chest Serial number 0740321 style number 2231. Most cedar chests on the market however, were made no earlier than the 20th century, and were not handmade but were instead machine produced in a factory.Finding reliable information on pre-twentieth produced cedar chests is hard to come by. Where to Sell Your Antiques and Collectibles?

Cedar wood contains oil that will stain and discolor most fabrics that come in contact with it, especially if its for extended periods of time. It i... What is a 1930's-40's lane cedar chest in excellent condition worth? Help identify Cedar Chest I have recently acquired this cedar chest and have no knowledge of chests.I have done a good bit of research but have been unable to find anything like this piece about it.I've examined it and the only markings on it are the ones stamped on the bottom.It has a push button to open,but looks like it had a latch type lock at one time.Can anyone tell me about this piece? There is no point in trying to force the lock yourself. Avoid using cardboard to line the inside of the chests as it will absorb and retain the oil from the wood.

A machine produced piece, would have clean lined and flush finished dovetail joints. Do not soak the chest or use a wet cloth to clean the wood.

My mother is 83 and it was her mother’s cedar chest if that helps. Determining the Value of a Lane Cedar Chest Determine the Style and Shape. 2404-23, Serial No. I have a Dillingham blue bird Cedar Chest Style # 73848 Serial #052091.

It's not a Lane cedar chest because Lane stamps/burns into the inside of their chests their name and a bunch of other info. Look for those numbers and let me know, then I can take the next step of giving you the value. If the wood is sealed and polished, then most furniture polishes should work fine. They have since lost their storage appeal.

It could be a ROOS, CAVALIER or other mfr. What brand or company made this? The Ed Roos cedar chests were originally bridal hope chests and were marketed around the world. This Cavalier cedar chest is in the Art Deco “waterfall” style, named for the curving veneer top resembling the edge of a waterfall. I have recently acquired this cedar chest and have no knowledge of chests.I have done a good bit of research but have been unable to find anything like this piece about it.I've examined it and the only markings on it are the ones stamped on the bottom.It has a push button to open,but looks like it had a latch type lock at one time.Can anyone tell me about this piece? They are often called “hope chests” because they were often given to young women to keep linens and other household items before marriage. 2765190. We get this information by reading the serial number from right to left which gives us the date “01-15-68”. We are refinishing my great grandmother’s cedar chest.

2245 53 Serial No. I have a 1971 Lane Cedar chest, style no.

Skoda Octavia Automatic Gearbox Problems, Silhouette Hinge Bushings, Agisni Ya Rasool Allah Meaning, Carmen Sama Biographie âgé, Kangoo Class Near Me, Velour Tracksuit Mens, Andre Miller House, Rêver Que Mon Mari Me Quitte Pour Une Autre Femme, Yify Proxy 2020, Face Shield Material, Earned It (slowed), Lekato Looper Pedal Manual, You Broke Me First Meaning, What Are Chalets Food, Taylor Catfish Surname, Seaham Cat Rescue, Mike Rizzo Wife, What Might Be Considered An Example Of A Ruthless Business Tactic, Pygmy Marmoset Pet Canada, Cva Accura V2 Lr Cerakote, Warframe Tier List 2020 Reddit, Aiming Hypixel Skyblock, Gender Bender Text Game, Ozymandias Grade 9 Essay, Ut Malum Pluvia Latin To English, Jean Taynton Photos, Long Long Time Sheet Music, Jason Momoa Singing I'll Tumble For Ya, Dennis Daniel Bailey Republican, Ip Logger Apk, Funny Taiwanese Phrases, Kenmore Refrigerator Shelf Assembly, Music From Mayberry, Afl Team Builder, Kraken Location Gta 5, Applebee's Classic Broccoli Chicken Alfredo Recipe, Gregg Hughes Height, Red Door Pub Galway, Porsche 944 Bolt On Supercharger, Emily Panic Band, Why I Want To Be A Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Essay, Boots Off Our Necks Meaning, Marcus Morris Amber Soulds, Peony Color Palette, Marbula One Track, Mk11 Crossplay With Friends, Snes Rom Hacks Archive, Flashscore 24 Live, Gabriel's Oboe Score Pdf, Honda Civic Type R Turbo Upgrade, Why Are My Period Cramps So Bad All Of A Sudden, Whale Pet Hypixel Skyblock, Elmer Fudd Ringtone, The Outsiders Thesis, Garrett Juice For Lawns, Vikkstar123 Girlfriend Name, Peak Practice Filming Locations, Which Omg Doll Are You Quiz, Cashword Scratch Off, Meu Ninomiya Wiki, Hale And Pace Characters, Purple Onion Pensacola, Lieu De Tournage C'est Comme ça Que Je T'aime, Linzi Bragg Mum In Eastenders, Fútbol Peruano En Vivo Por Internet, Rever De L'eau De Mer En Islam, Reloading 357 Magnum,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *