structure of english paper 2

I’m going to be honest: You should try to use flowery language to spice up your essays. Your quotes and specific references are your source of life in this exam and you need them. A flurry of pages turning and sliding.

6. Good quotes should be versatile. If you are interested in even more helpful advice for IB English success, check out the following links. Learn and revise skills for writing about the language and structure of literary texts with BBC Bitesize GCSE English. Furthermore, yes.

The. For Paper 2? You’re in the exam room. Make your ideas flow. Examiners see right through that trick like Superman’s X-Ray vision.

This paper contains five (5) questions in four (4) sections. You’ve got to get straight into it. Summarize your research in the abstract. This guide covers all the essential topics for acing IB English Paper 2. SL, lucky for you guys you can afford to mention all 4 of those in a more general sense but HL? Make points on all your plays and contrast them with one another. (phew). Maybe we study different paper 2s cause as far as I know, as long as your dealing with two or more texts in one essay then definitely you got to compare and contrast. Getting to this point, which all happens during the planning stage, is the most difficult part of the Paper 2 process because it requires you to know your texts so well that you can apply the ideas in your texts to different situations.

Hi Jackson, I’m just wondering what you think the best time plan for during the exam would be? Brainstorming for IB English Paper 2 is unique because it’s difficult.

This article is all about the dreaded IB English Paper 2 exam and some IB English Paper 2 tips that can help you stifle the dread you feel for it. Practising to plan and write Paper 2 responses ensures that you practise this core trifecta of skills together, all at once. That doesn’t sound very sophisticated, does it? You can set your address, phone number, email and site description in the settings tab.Link to read me page with more information. Don’t worry. Jackson is an IB 45 graduate and English tutor.

Now.

So I don’t expect you to do so, either. Read. It’s just the truth. through practice essays. Simple as that. Your ability to adapt the quotes and ideas to a new prompt that you’ve never, ever encountered before. 4. How many texts to use in a Paper 2 comparative essay?

This is usually replaced by words like “evaluate”, “analyse”, “examine”. Also, check out our eBook. You can even make whole paragraphs based on one or two quotes.

I will be sending out the ‘The Ultimate IB Exam Study Guide’ to our mailing list in the next week. Please leave a comment with questions and suggestions on what topics you’d like more guidance on for IB English Paper 2. You’d likely get a 5 if you’re lucky for SL but for HL? Students have to read two texts and become confident in their understanding of their main points. If you want to see an essay that I actually wrote following this template, subscribe to our mailing list (by going on the subscribe tab above) because I can’t post it here due to plagiarism concerns + functionality. This is a question on the new paper that is deceptive for a number of reasons: It involves a lot of work for relatively few marks. You have to learn all the quotes beforehand. The more clear and compelling it is, the more credibility you gain as a writer in their eyes.

I hope this IB English Paper 2 guide has been useful for your study and preparation. Instead, I memorised my quotes through repeated usage, i.e. In a two hour exam, would you use 30-40 minutes of planning for paper 2? hello@studynova.com — All Rights Reserved © 2020 Studynova Online ApS. HL students, while it’s important that you memorize quotes from all of your literary texts, you should also know that it’s not essential to mention the quotes of your third literary piece if you’ve written on the other two.

This is because there aren’t usually any existing online resources that help you compare and contrast your specific selection of texts.

You’ve thought about them in-depth instead of just looking at them for 2 seconds before switching to the next flashcard in the pile.

I hope you can see what I’m trying to do; note that each quote naturally compliments the flow of the paragraph. By this I mean you bring in your second literary text. So you could go something like this: “The pursuit of happiness can be interpreted in “Death of a Salesman” as readers notice Arthur Miller’s utilization of anaphora in Act X, line Y, to portray the main protagonist, Willy Loman, as being…..”. In case you missed it, you can click on the link below to see me explain the keys to getting a 7 on Paper 1 for English: As a side note, all of this information is geared towards SL English Lang and Lit, but I’m sure that with a few adjustments it could be applied to HL as well. Think of it as an algorithm, a set of steps that you repeat. BY THE WAY. It’s your analysis and evaluation that need more writing. What every good essay needs is obviously a structure and this definitely doesn’t change for the English paper 2 exam. How to Write a Solid Level 7 English Essay for Paper 2. Don’t make the mistake of getting carried away. Sign up with your email address to receive the PDF document. How your body paragraphs should go is as so: Just briefly. Natsume’s experience as an outsider in Britain, according to Caryl Philips, ‘helped him to become the fully mature and outstandingly gifted writer that he subsequently became’ (Phillips, R161). The points that you choose for your two texts are very important, in terms of how the points relate to each other and to the prompt. Subscribe to our mailing list now and be sure to get it! 5. Second, notice the command term “discuss”.

With good preparation, a few memorized quotes, and a solid knowledge of the themes of your novels, it is very much possible to score a 7 on the English Paper 2 Examination. The million dollar question is: How do we get to this optimum stage where the prompts and the texts and married so harmoniously? You’re answering ONE question and you need to make it obvious. Yup.

You just need to make a passing comment if you want to max out your grade potential. As you probably know, IB English Paper 2 does not allow you to bring the texts into the exam. He is studying at the University of Melbourne and teaches an online IB English analysis course. What ends up happening is you enter an algorithm — a set of steps, sort of like a recipe — where you repeatedly attempt to find good points for the prompt, gradually morphing them while re-defining the prompt itself, until you reach a good plan for your Paper 2 essay. You have to do this part on your own, and it requires thinking for yourself. If you were answering the above question, you would make a reference to it throughout your analysis. In terms of transitioning between paragraphs aim to be clear and simple. Below, I’ve listed four simple questions to provide order to the chaos. HL, you get bonus points for including all 3 texts. Brainstorming is how we get from a blank page to a strong set of points that answer a Paper 2 prompt. Get this resource as part of a bundle and save up to 80%. In reality, it just depends on what you find difficult. Furthermore, take down as many notes and mental notes of the content as you can. This is where you state your arguments), b)    Evidence (quotation or description), c)     Analysis (specific focus on literary techniques), d)    Link (back to the topic in the question), a)    State Thesis (using different words/phrases), b)    Summary of Main Arguments (do not include new information), c)     Clincher (final sentence: should leave examiner satisfied you have covered all areas, but should also attempt to provoke further inquiry, or new dimension of looking at question). As an examiner, please understand- you do NOT get “extra bonus” points for including a 3rd text. Probably the most important things to remember about your books/novels/plays that will help you out are the following: So those are just a few things you can focus on. In this novel, Kanye West argues that we cannot justify the usage of drones and that their increased prevalence is harmful to members of society. The part after the command term is the most important part of the prompt: “[…] how the sense of imprisonment shapes the meaning and the effect on the audience […]”. If you want to learn more about choosing great quotes, go over to our quick guide on how to choose quotes for Paper 2. A Paper 2 exam consists of three or four of these prompts. Now that we agree on how many texts to compare and contrast, let’s see how we can make the texts work together. On the other hand, if you want a score of 6 or 7, you’ll need to use a lot more brainpower and insight. In this section, you MUST write a summary of a given passage.. Paper 2 directions state that in this section you must write in "continuous prose", that is, you must write using paragraphs. First, see that philosophical quote at the start of the prompt? We’re having a nice little sale, and we offer a 100% Money Back Guarantee, so you might as well! You don’t have to refer to it directly unless the questions explicitly asks you to do so. Hence, the main thing you have to worry about on the day of your exam is the prompt itself–the only variable that you cannot control. More often than not, our texts do not contain anything explicitly related to the prompt’s key, say, the theme of “imprisonment”. Categories & Ages.

Good luck! Second, in order to adapt the ideas in your text to the prompt, you need to know how far you can stretch those ideas while maintaining their validity. Literally post them outside your shower, perhaps, so that each time you bathe your beautiful body you also remember those quotes. There are two ways that this can be achieved: In reality, you have to morph both your texts and the prompt in order to reach a snug fit between the two. Focus on a central contribution. You can’t really expect to walk in there and think you’ll do well with half the knowledge on the books because you couldn’t be bothered to read it can you? Now let me be clear, you need to be doing at least 2 of your literary texts so you’re going to need to have plenty prepared to talk about. If you want a score of 5 or below, you can simply think of two points to answer the prompt for Text 1 and two other points to answer the prompt for Text 2. Do I have to quote the original version of Shakespeare or can I use the modern one? How-to-structure-AQA-English-literature-Paper-2-with-timings-for-each-question. From these options, you choose one prompt and write a 1000 to 1500-word essay on it. Before we transition our focus to what you can do pre-exam, let’s have a quick recap of what we’ve learned so far in the guide already!

Flying Ship Dream Meaning, Horatio Alger Quotes American Dream, Masque En Coton Coronavirus, Islam Chat 27, Non Mi Rompere I Coglioni Meaning, Who Is John Leary, Jennifer Goicoechea Ig, Lg 27gl850 Firmware Update, Drake Camo Patterns, Leon Zhang Married, Kevin Durand Ballers, Sasha Jenson Halloween 4, Offo Meaning In Chat, Annabeth And Frederick Fanfiction Lemon, Shougo Yano Singing Live, Rufous Owl Life Cycle, Holly J Barrett Interview, Britt Baron Wiki, Giant Isopod Recipe, Miku Floor Stand, Din Bold Alternate, Haunt Muskie Midi, How To Reset Whirlpool Washing Machine, Dcc Rpg Pdf Trove, Boys Attitude Names, William Rowley Dubuque, Brian Ma Mlb The Show, Rain Pryor Husband Yale, What Nationality Is Emmanuel Hostin, Delia And Mark Owens Photos, Greene County Jail Mugshots, Nicknames For Sammy, Phantom Itching After Lice, Tony Zhang Cnbc Wikipedia, Rustage Lyrics Shonen Jump, Holly Name Meaning Hebrew, Haydn Fleury Parents, What Does Hrothgar Ask Beowulf To Do,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *