ektachrome vs ektar

While this is objectively true, it only scratches the surface of what this film really is. My father introduced me to 35mm photography before I was a teen. The former, when done well, is like looking at a well-exposed slide while the latter, when done poorly, looks like Fuji Superia 400 baked in a car for a few months.

Ektachrome doesn’t hesitate to blow highlights and crush shadows if exposure is a half stop off. I recently shot a roll that expired like 3 years ago and the quality is still perfect. In a word; yes. I always send mine to The Lab Vancouver and I get consistently excellent results! I have been using my Hasselblad more and more. I have heard rumors that they will. It’s pretty incredible in the hands of talented shooters; take a look at the kinds of images people are making with Ektar. In the 1960’s and ’70’s I used K25 and K64, together with Ektachrome 64 and 100. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I definitely prefer it over Provia. As somebody who loves film, that means everything.

Those crazy folk from Rochester actually did it, I thought. Excellent choice in film if you like colors to pop.

Once the creme-de-la-creme of all color film, E-6 slide film was hit the hardest by the digital revolution. Great post! Required fields are marked *. [Some of the links in this article will direct users to our affiliates at B&H Photo, Amazon, and eBay. I would hesitate to trust this film inside a pure auto-exposure camera, and I would also be very careful while running this through an old meterless mechanical camera unless you have a good handheld light meter or a perfectly-trained eye for light. Just got my first roll back, and my impression was, “very literal”. I’m about five rolls in on the new E100 and I like it much more, it’s more balanced, neutral and true to life colors (skin tone is the best I’ve seen on film IMO). The new Ektachrome is a daylight-balanced color transparency film, like the old Ektachrome.

Here’s what we’ve found.

For more than a year we heard just a few intermittent reports that Ektachrome was still coming. Like a fine wine, Kodak’s professional range were only released once they had “matured”. Ektar loves to bask in the sunshine, so low-light lovers or those averse to being outdoors may find the film to be a bit challenging, and with such a low ISO it’s not a great film for capturing motion. Before Ektar was around, Kodak’s finest-grain film came in the form of their professional Ektachrome E100G, and Kodak’s literature on Ektar explains that the new film was developed with foresight in regard to the relationship between Ektachrome and Ektar. It is definitely not like regular color films like the Portras which can be overexposed.I love the way the film picked up the bright colors of the sky and ocean when I shot with the sun behind me.Kodak Ektar is a film I shoot often and I don’t overexpose that either. Ektachrome E-100G and E-100GX are old stock, which was discontinued in (maybe) 2012? I don’t know if this is still true, or, frankly, ever true, but my understanding is that both Kodachrome and Ektachrome were deliberately blueish because they were intended to be projected, and projector bulbs, being incandescent, are yellow/orange. My favorite color film, I think. Super fine T-grain keeps images smooth and suitable for scanning. Happily, they succeeded. These shots are super fine, but we can still tell they’re made on 35mm film. So yes, colors from Ektar are truly amazing.

[Some of the links in this article will direct users to our affiliates at B&H Photo, Amazon, and eBay.

James Tocchio is a writer and photographer, and the founder of Casual Photophile. Kodak is playing it safe. I never experienced it, but wish I had. Over-exposing by one stop will create color shifts, and over-exposing by more will destroy highlights. Keep in mind that the results from slide films these days may vary both based on who’s developing them and based on how they’re scanned (or viewed). It looks to me just like the scene looked through my eyes, not adding any spectacularity.

If I had to place it anywhere, I’d place it close to Kodak Ektar in that it’s a bit of a character piece, even though it features a better overall color rendition than that film. Even though the E4 process which followed did not require re-exposure of the film after the first development, there were guys that still used the floodlamps because they thought chemical reversal was somehow not as good. For people with experience, Ektachrome is easy. I was lucky enough to be chosen by Kodak as one of the photographers to shoot Kodak Ektachrome E100 Slide Film in 120 (medium format) prior to its relaunch. It’s clear when comparing scans and prints from images made by each film that Ektar is a finer, smoother film. They revived slide film. The film was then released to dealers as the “Professional” version of the film, and who would have the relevant cooler facilities in-store. And that is what I did. Enter the username or e-mail you used in your profile. After more than a decade without Ektar, in 2008 Kodak applied the famous name to a new slow-speed, ultra-fine, professional-grade 35mm film. Also the film seems to handle low light very well. Through the entire decade I never shot one roll of color print film.

Blacks may be too black for some shooters, but with minimal post-processing it’s possible to pull out shadow detail and reign in the sometimes extreme contrast. A slight difference in the developing procedure may change the characteristics of the film. Ektachrome’s specificity makes it hard to place among other color films.

If you waited six or nine months, it was perfect. How to Shoot Kodak Ektachrome 120 Slide Film, Rate the Kodak Ektachrome at box speed;– i.e.

All those worrying words spoken, best practices for shooting Kodak’s new Ektachrome are actually surprisingly simple. Today we’re featuring another offering from the boys in Rochester. For example, Ektachrome is incredibly sharp, but it still features a bit more grain than would be expected for a modern film.

Honestly, find a good lab might be the hardest part of the process for me. I have been unable to find online any modern reference. I suppose Ektachrome overall strikes me as being a more interpretive than Provia. Ektachrome has won me over. One roll of Ektar 100 and one roll of Ektachrome 100. I shot it at box speed (100 iso) and used a hand held light meter.Slide film does not have much latitude with exposure. Thanks for the kind words my friend. The magnitude of Kodak successfully rereleasing a film like Ektachrome is huge.

Take Ektar to your local lab and they’ll have your prints ready in no time, as it uses C-41 process chemicals (the standard stuff used in every lab these days). I had great prints from the lab, but when I tried to scan the film but got not so great results. Your email address will not be published. A difficult film like Ektachrome needs a more experienced touch to be shot to its advantages. As stated before, its color balance is much more neutral than its color negative counterparts, but still falls a little short of the absolute neutrality of a film like Fuji Provia. The Kodak Ektachrome is like Ektar x 100.I shot the Kodak Ektachrome E100 slide film the same way I would normally shoot Kodak Ektar. Some were made by a small local lab here in Massachusetts. That being said, I suppose the “true-to-life” descriptor is a bit more subjective than we give it credit for, especially with slide films that tend to amp up contrast and saturation. Offered as an ultra-fine grain film in speeds of 25, 100, and 1000 ISO, production of the original Ektar commenced in 1989 and proceeded for just five years. Many thanks for your support.]. I suppose that’s fitting – by all rights, Ektachrome shouldn’t even be here. I mainly shot MF b/w film and did my own D&P.

But they did, and we love them for it.

With medium and large format Ektar film things become even more outrageously enlargeable. Let us know if we can find your Ektar shots anyplace online? Professional fashion and editorial photographers abandoned the laborious process of shooting and developing slide film for the infinitely quicker and easier to use digital files.

In fact, I’d argue that technical achievement was never the point of Ektachrome to begin with. As such, special care was paid by Kodak to create a film that’s highly scannable, and the final scanned images are exceptionally rich. One question: I’ve been looking online and some places sell “E-100” (B&H)and others sell “E-100G” (Adorama). I think it’s the added exposure latitude of Provia that provides a little more extension in the shadows that puts it over for me in the “true-to-life” department. It would seemingly make more sense for Kodak to introduce an easy-to-use, affordable color negative film, not a technically demanding, outdated, niche film. https://i2.wp.com/casualphotophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/kodak-ektachrome-samples-DVL-8-of-10.jpg?fit=2800%2C1857&ssl=1, https://casualphotophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/kodak-ektachrome-samples-josh-9-of-9.jpg. While I can’t unequivocally proclaim Ektar to be a perfect color-negative film, I can tell you that it’s one of my absolute favorite films to shoot. Kodak specifies that the film is workable to one stop under and two stops over, though Ektar can do better than that. I shot my first roll of ektachrome through my m3 and got really nice results. I was therefore unaware of the change made to K64 in 1987. hahahah you guys are awesome. Excellent article. Speaking strictly about the compositions I like so much the man walking the alley and the view of the brick building with the central bow windows in middle of the dark street; in both the shadows, contrast and quality of light is great! We’re back with another film profile to help you decide which film is right for you. Once removed, the film should ideally be exposed and developed within days.

When I started shooting, in 1972 with an SLR, the second film I used after Plus-X was Kodachrome 25 and 64. Send it to a professional lab that processes slide film (e-6 chemistry). Prior to that, fresh Kodachrome 64 often gave slightly greenish results.

In my ignorance, I’d always try and buy films with the longest use-by date, but this was governed by what was on the shelves of dealers. Ektar enhances reality, rather than puking a stomach-full of half-digested skittles onto the page. Without much fuss you’ll be making images you’re proud of. It features a slight emphasis towards blue, which again is a signature of old school E-6 slide film. And now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s get to the good stuff. Link us to the shots when you get them if possible. Enver, I’d virtually stopped using slide film by then. What’s Ektar offer today’s photog, and why do so many shooters love it? Kodachrome 64 had an upgrade in 1987, with a new green sensitizing dye that was more stable.

Churchill Shotgun Review, Richard Madeley Net Worth, How To Enter Cheat Codes In Family Guy Quest For Stuff, Daniel Roebuck Spouse, Salem Name Meaning, Schwinn Trailway 700c, How To Get Rid Of Cockchafers, Lunar Venus Island Bed, Is Sahuayo Michoacán Dangerous, Lizard Squad Song, John Dorsey Salary, Hottest Dj In The World Right Now 2k20, Wheel Of Mayhem Board Game Instructions, Notre Dame High School Yearbook, Baby Relax Crib Instructions, Irving Gas Station Vapes, Standard Times Obituaries San Angelo, Avengers Crossover Fanfiction, Nike Snkrs Sorry We've Encountered An Error, Rêver D'eau Qui Coule Des Murs,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *