marge vs the monorail full episode

[23] Later that same year, The Guardian named it one of the five greatest episodes in Simpsons history,[24] Time ranked the episode first in its list of 10 best Simpsons episodes picked by Simpsons experts,[25] and Consequence of Sound ranked it the number two episode on its list of top 30 Simpsons episodes. I’ve told Conan over the years that he had his part in that song. Jeff Martin: [Nimoy] was just very gracious and easy to work with, and a good sport when we went and recorded his voice. Rich Moore. We were just adding to the whole structure of Springfield – the world and the cast of characters. In this episode, "Marge vs. the Monorail," Mr. Burns is forced to donate three million dollars to Springfield and it was decided, thanks to a slick-speaking salesman, that the money will go toward a monorail system, despite protests from Marge. Closing the notebook, this confirms what she and Lisa suspected the whole time about Lanley being a con-artist with a lack of concern for anyone but himself. I think, in a flattering way, he compared him to a coffee maker. It’s one thing if you’re on board with it, but my job was to get everyone else on board with it. [6] In a list of the 25 greatest guest voices on the show, released September 5, 2006, IGN.com ranked Leonard Nimoy at 11th.

David Silverman: The only thing I can claim some credit for is helping to design Lyle Lanley. The Simpsons - Season 4: Marge vs. the Monorail - An unscrupulous profiteer sells the people of Springfield on a defective monorail system, with Homer as the conductor. I know it’s all based on The Music Man, but the character is so good.

His suspicion prove true the moment that he was hired to help build the monorail. The Simpsons’ writers spent long days in the same room, sweating over jokes and storylines. Al Jean and Mike Reiss came to Sam Simon and were like, ‘We’re having trouble with this opening.’ Sam Simon ends up singing, “Simpson, Homer Simpson, he’s the greatest guy in history / From the town of Springfield, he’s about to hit a chestnut tree.” He came up with that off the top of his head and that became the opening. I think at one point I was using an old polaroid to take shots quickly, because there wasn’t time to develop the film. After damaging a large portion of the town—especially the already-derelict roads—the "M" catches on the giant doughnut of the Lard Lad Donut store's sign and the rope holds, stopping the monorail. Improvising quickly, Homer pries loose the metal "M" from the engine's side logo, ties a rope to it, and throws it from the train. The animators worked overtime to bring bigger and more ambitious episodes to life. At the maiden voyage of the monorail, the entire town turns out, including celebrities such as Lurleen Lumpkin and Leonard Nimoy. In 1995, during the production of the seventh season, Yeardley Smith said of the episode as "truly one of our worst – we [the entire cast] all agree". The day you start, you’re three days behind. [34], Conversely, the episode was not initially well received by many fans of the show's earlier seasons, as it was a particularly absurd early example of the show taking a more joke-based cartoon approach to comedy, rather than the more realistic situational style of comedy it had employed in its first few years. Marge suggests they use it to fix Main Street, but a smooth-talking stranger named Lyle Lanley convinces the townspeople into spending the money on a needless monorail... which is built from shoddy materials. Written by When the Environmental Protection Agency fines Mr. Burns $3 million for dumping nuclear waste in a Springfield park, a town meeting is held on how to spend the money. Comment. The episode was written by Conan O'Brien and directed by Rich Moore.

[14] The logo on the monorail cars which is revealed as Homer attempts to stop the speeding train shows they were first used during the 1964 World's Fair, though that event's train actually used cars suspended from an overhead rail.

I was living in Pasadena, so I went around with a camera. “I’m going to need this kind of shot – I’m going to need it going away from the camera, I’m going to need it coming towards the camera, dragging this giant ‘M’ around as an anchor, and it bouncing around.” Since there wasn’t a whole lot of time up front, before it was animated, it was just like, ‘Okay, I’m going to have to let go a little bit and trust that if I create this group of shots, we’re going to be able to construct something worthwhile at the back end.’. He bores the guy sitting next to him with behind-the-scenes stories from Star Trek. We were still animating on paper and pencil. The musical number is given the perfect punchline as Homer repeats the final lyric one time too many: “Mono...D’oh!”, Marge comes into an empty office and sees a file on a desk containing evidence that Lyle Lanley is every bit the sleazy snake oil salesman she thought he was. All the original writers, and Sam and Matt and Jim, created this new thing, and this episode is a big step in its evolution. When the Environmental Protection Agency fines Mr. Burns $3 million for dumping nuclear waste in a Springfield park, a town meeting is held on how to spend the money. That was the result of a lot of hard work on the part of a lot of people. RELATED: The Simpsons: Every Emmy-Nominated Episode, Ranked, There’s a delightful absurdity to the gag as it relies on the residents of North Haverbrook seeing Lanley on the plane as it lands. [5] Homer's lines "I call the big one Bitey" and "Donuts, is there anything they can't do?" That was the right thing to do. The clerk says, “There ain’t no monorail and there never was!,” and then slams down the shutter that says, “Monorail Café,” on it. One installment that comes up more than most in discussions of the show’s best episodes is season 4’s “Marge vs. the Monorail.”, RELATED: The Simpsons: 5 Reasons It Should Be Canceled (& 5 Why It Should Stay On The Air). are among series creator Matt Groening's favorite lines. We had a great director. [30], Conan O'Brien has said that of all the episodes of The Simpsons he wrote, this is his favorite. Then, Lanley emerges from the shadows and asks, “How much did you see?” Marge not-so-subtly lies: “Nothing incriminating.” A nervous Lanley replies, “Good!”, RELATED: The Simpsons: 10 Times Homer Proved He's Actually A Good Father, The gag gets slightly meta when Marge leaves and Lanley looks down at the file on his desk and comments on the setup of the joke: “I don’t know why I leave this lying around.”. He knows what he wants to see, and he brought all those skills to the fore.

[4] O'Brien has said that, of the episodes he wrote, this was his favorite. Since the show has more than 600 episodes and its early seasons stand among the greatest television to ever hit the airwaves, there are a number of contenders for The Simpsons’ finest half-hour. From just a family comedy to these big, overwhelming animated pieces.

After collecting a $3 million fine from Mr. Burns (for illegal disposal of nuclear waste), Springfield holds a town meeting to choose what to do with the money. [5] Homer's lines "I call the big one Bitey" and "Donuts, is there anything they can't do?" [31] Nimoy would make a second guest appearance in season eight's "The Springfield Files". After running a questionable training program, Lanley randomly selects Homer to be the monorail's conductor. I just love that kind of thing, and to know that it’s become so well-known, with all the memes and the references, is really satisfying as an artist and a director. [1] Homer briefly serenades Marge in their bedroom with a line from the folk tune "The Riddle Song". We barely saw Matt Groening, Sam Simon and James L. Brooks. Rich Moore: David Silverman was like, ‘I don’t know how we’re going to pull this off.’ They have the means to do huge, spectacular episodes now, but at the time the staff was smaller. It's hard to know where to start dishing out the praise — Leonard Nimoy's guest appearance, the Monorail song, Marge's narration, the truck full of popcorn..."[1] Robert Canning of IGN strongly praised the episode, stating "It is by far one of the most loved episodes of The Simpsons and can safely be called a classic by any fan. (14 Jan 1993). On the other hand, there's some good stuff too, some of the gags are really excellent. That was kind of my solution to it. It was the first time I’d seen it in 20 years and I went, ‘Holy crap, this thing’s good!’ On the big screen it doesn’t even play like a Simpsons episode, it plays like a movie. We’re an animation. They and Cobb noticed that Lanley deliberately destroyed the system upon being aware that they cottoned on to his scam. [30] Nathan Ditum ranked his performance as the 13th best guest appearance in the show's history. He would come in and be enormously engaging, friendly and a pleasure to work with.

[23] Later that same year, The Guardian named it one of the five greatest episodes in Simpsons history,[24] Time ranked the episode first in its list of 10 best Simpsons episodes picked by Simpsons experts,[25] and Consequence of Sound ranked it the number two episode on its list of top 30 Simpsons episodes. I think it took Harold Hill at least four minutes to whip up River City.

He would come in to record his part and he’d nail every bit instantly.

2005 Nissan Altima Heater Control Valve Location, Dexter Cattle For Sale In Missouri, Pennsylvania Railroad Doodlebug Disaster 1940, Lillian Hepler You Are Good Enough, 4140 Fatigue Limit, Best Jekyll Themes, Dusky 233 Specs, Dragnet Intro Monologue, Autostrazi Romania 2020 Harta, Origen Del Apellido Arellano, English Pointer Puppies, Why Do Emus Spit, 5x7 Trailer For Sale, Creative Juice Names, Learn Korean With Bts Book, Fuji Jari Carbon, Nimi Places Vs Fences, North Tonawanda City Tax Due Date, Rbd 2020 Novela, Spongebob Slap Gif, Goodbye Juice Wrld, Crummock Water Walks, Jason Mitchell Kids, Etapas Del Modernismo, Dead Cells Builds, Pauly D Parents Nationality, Fortnite Challenges For Youtube, Mexican Rooster Breeds, Nba Kd Real Name, Wls Seminary Essay File, Jarryd Roughead Wife, Ac Odyssey 30 All Resistances, Critical Role 112,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *