10 days that unexpectedly changed america chapter 2 quizlet

2) There are a couple of simple factual errors... for example, the book states that slaves first came to the US in 1607... that's when the first colonists arrived. Start by marking “10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Good review of some important events that are often overlooked. I haven't seen the 10 hour documentary based off of this book, but the book was very helpful to understand the chain of events that led to one major event we're pretty much aware of. Sections of the book were fascinating. 1992, in 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America, 2 (New York, NY: A&E Television Networks, 2008, originally published 2006), 44 mins. This was not a book I would typically want to read (or listen to on CD), however I was glad I did. Because of this beginning, I wondered throughout the book if the vi. I really enjoyed reading this book from a massacre near the Mystic River in 1637( an ethnic cleansing) to the murder of three Freedom Riders in Mississippi during the summer of 1964.

stream I would have found this book very interesting and it would have received a much higher rating for it didn't posses as many flaws as I encountered. © 2003-2020 Chegg Inc. All rights reserved. Watch Now. It was written for a History Channel series which is now available on DVD from Netflix.

I wouldn't not recommend this book. ?뒧qs8�v���=b�3�~8+��tWW�F�%kȫ#yi�eF���"��ϰ�~F��Uh[2L�iE(Eʈ��pD„����K�UIB As part of a 10 hour series on The History Channel, this book introduces us to 10 days that impacted this country. It was a decent overview of several important events, but it had very little support for the thesis that these events in particular changed America, and in fact I found in some cases it argued that the event did NOT change America, but merely was evidence of the conditions at the time. For example, Einstein's letter led to the bombing of the two Japanese cities. Before each chapter I challenged myself to figure out why that date was chosen. ), 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America, written by Steven M. Gillon and presented by THE HISTORY CHANNEL, is a fantastic nonfictional book that does a great job in re-creating some of the less well-known events that transformed the United States of America. So check it out! In the book, the reader won’t find any extremely well-known or celebrated events such as the signing of the D. 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America, written by Steven M. Gillon and presented by THE HISTORY CHANNEL, is a fantastic nonfictional book that does a great job in re-creating some of the less well-known events that transformed the United States of America.

It starts with the meeting of Native Americans and Europeans and concludes with justice for the victims of Freedom Summer 1964. To see what your friends thought of this book, 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America. I learned some things about American history and touched on eras I don't usually study.

It wasn't days you might have thought changed our country. I guess I hoped that the "10 days" would be told from one's perspective. It also seemed to not use source material adequately or frequently enough for me, though I usually read a lot more "hardcore" history books. It was a decent overview of several important events, but it had very little support for the thesis that these events in particular changed America, and in fact I found in some cases it argued that the event did NOT change America, but merely was evidence of the conditions at the time. %��������� 10 DAYS THAT UNEXPECTEDLY CHANGED AMERICA™ Massacre at Mystic (MAY 26, 1637) When English settlers arrived on the North American continent to start their lives anew, many of them gave little thought to the native peoples who had long inhabited these lands. Then read on to see how I did. I didn't read the table of contents or any reviews before I purchased it, because I just happened to come across it a couple of years ago at the book store. anyone interested in learning more about American history, I enjoy learning different perspectives from my own and learning in general.

Any history buff should read this book. I thought there would be chapters ded. This book was very informative, extremely detailed and impressively researched. The days chosen weren't necessarily the most famous days of our nation - no signing of the declaration of independence, no Gettysburg address, no walking on the moon - but days that were major turning points for the United States.

Finally, the book had a lot of incorrect facts (especially in the chapter about Hiroshima) which for non fiction history book is unacceptable. Ten Days That Unexpectedly Changed America Chapter Summaries Chapter 1: “Massacre at Mystic” May 26, 1637 was a fateful day in the history of America. It's a perfect beginning to the class. This book is a companion to the series that the History Channel produced a few years ago. Well worth the read for those interested in American history. The first slaves didn't arrive until 1619. Unfortunately, it began with a chapter about King Philip's War, which I had just finished reading in huge amounts of detail (in Mayflower). This interesting, fact-filled book is basically THE HISTORY CHANNEL’s special series of ten one-hour documentaries in book form. The author did a great job of explaining why each specific events were important and how they greatly impacted our history. I felt that this subject was given a very one-sided picture. << /Length 5 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> Second, the format and the text itself was often misleading and somewhat difficult to follow, which took away from the good parts of the book. x�Y�,Gu���W4��VWU�`.W�-$@�a#? Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Be the first to ask a question about 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America. Second, the format and the text itself was often misleading and somewhat difficult to follow, which took away from the good parts of the book. This is a fascinating look at lesser-known events from the 1600s to the 1900s. I enjoyed the specific For Further Reading sections at the end of each chapter. )̃#p��Gx��o����C�B~�%�RWe����CU��/�]��a=�6����w������W��^��o��������F}��q�����u7��|ޭ���f/��o���ջ�n_ry������a=���y������_p^��7_���n��]�q��w������~��~�/���e~����x�����l��x(J?��"�7��a?��3��~k$h|�Ӂ먫������"�_[>)��{X��/��fGݗ�']4l��޾���[M�c�����Z��9���Vx�����v;�[�`��;&���f��L��g�U1y�����;�t86����WP�%mh���b��M����?��]�B��Wuv&\��_��g��u����^��� ����4��t�',�1�*J���.��� This book is one of the very best history books I have read. April 4th 2006 This would be a good book to discuss. It also seemed to not use source material adequately or frequently enough for me, though I usually read a lot more "hardcore" history books.

I reference this book in several of my papers and in casual conversations with friends and family. I didn't read the table of contents or any reviews before I purchased it, because I just happened to come across it a couple of years ago at the book store. Einstein Letter July 16th 1939 Leo Szilard didn't want the Germans to get the atomic bomb with the help of Einstein they pushed the American government into the Manhattan Project eventually creating the worlds most dangerous weapon changed war politics and changed how scientists got things done. This book does not disappoint. I thought it was somewhat of a very, very general history-type book, but that's what it is not.

Some people may have picked other events to include in this book. Gillon doesn’t really go out and ask certain questions throughout the book, but he does make the reader think about how America would be if the mentioned events never happened.

by Three Rivers Press, 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America (History Channel Presents). 10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America: Viewing Guides for Every Episode "This docuseries explores the depths of some of the world's lesser-known moments in history.

I feel like it bounces around way to much an it's so over details it makes my brain hurt. Discussion of days that are truly unexpected, such as the assassination of William McKinley which brought Theodore Roosevelt into the presidency with his love for National Parks and conservation. The author thoroughly explains the events of each day and why it is significant. Create an account and get 24 hours access for free. However, I think, even though he may not have chosen the best days or events to discuss, that Gillon did an excellent job in portraying the events that he did choose and he did it with historical accuracy. I thought there would be chapters dedicated to the constitution, the Lincoln Assassination, Kennedy Assassination, Watergate, 9/11, etc. I thought it was somewhat of a very, very general history-type book, but that's what it is not. written by Michael Mayhew, fl. Being an avid reader of American history, I already knew quite a bit about most of these events, but not all of them. On the other hand if you have seen the special series, then you will most likely like the book for the same reason.

Another notable event was the day when Albert Einstein wrote the letter saying that he would contribute in the Manhattan Project, which was the plan that created the atomic bomb in 1939. However, the reader will find events like when John Marshall accidently discovered tiny flakes of gold in a California riverbed in 1848, which sparked America’s lust for Gold to a new high resulting the Gold Rush, the pivotal Battle of Antietam in 1862, which could be argued as the beginning of the end of the American Civil War, and the assassination of President William McKinley by a radical anarchist at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo. 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America pinpoints pivotal days that transformed our nation. Given the breadth of topics covered, the book can only scratch the surface surrounding the history of each day.

Board Game Precursor To Monopoly Codycross, Andrew Redigit Spinks Net Worth, Potassium Electron Configuration, Rana Spinach Ravioli Review, Finger Lime Tree For Sale Southern California, Aang Cosplay Diy, Zip Code Generator, Dennis Murphy Amgen, Fatal Car Accident In Rancho Cucamonga Today, Lunar Cat Names, Courtney Stodden Chris Sheng, Graham Mctavish, Garance Dore, Angelo Apocalypse Costume, Mls Academy Residency Programs, Fleur De Force Real Name, Kally's Mashup épisode 61, Trd 4age 20v For Sale, Jason O Smith Dazed And Confused, Most Accurate 9mm Pistol Out Of The Box, Hell Yeah Meaning, Meet Sebastian Stan 2020, Is Little Tunny Good To Eat, Manawatu Standard Garage Sales, El Que Libre O Voluntariamente Sienta Plaza De Soldado Crucigrama, Jim Martin Skater, Al Dacascos Family Tree, Will Douglas Kaitlan Collins, Heisman Pose Meme, How Old Is Madison Beer, Anime Race Fallout 3, Calvin Pryor Net Worth, Zi Wang Github, Its My Party 80s Cover, Wind (1992 Full Movie), Fast And Furious 4 Nitromethane Mechanic, Deadside Xbox One, How Old Is Lea In Kingdom Hearts 3, Cell And Molecular Biology Karp Slideshare, Iva Rifkin Biography, Comic Anthology Submissions 2020, Native American Name For Mermaid, Are There Poisonous Lizards In Texas, Destiny Vex Fanfiction, Staghorn Ferns For Sale, Giant Isopod Recipe, Mlb 21 Pc, Does Fiona Have A Baby In Shameless Uk, That's My Slime Lyrics, Ice Maker Making Large Block Of Ice, Faze Rug Merch Rugrats, Yvonne Orji Salary Per Episode, Ethiopian Orthodox Pictures Of Jesus, Ryan Lee Perkins Dead, Concerto For Two Pianos Comic, Robert Williams Realtor, Cycling Emporium Review, Games Like Teardown, Omar Sharif Son, Middle Names For Riley Boy, New London, Missouri Tyler1, Fernando Lujan Net Worth, Prosperity Bank Mobile Deposit Funds Availability, Shane Dawson House Calabasas Address, Motherload Game Wiki, Sparkling Water And Kidney Disease, Leucoaraïose Espérance De Vie, Plymouth Brethren Funerals, Room Temperature For 8 Week Old Puppy, Michael David Cheng, Colgate Comedy Hour Roy Donk, Nombres Que Combinen Con Analia, Major Payne Online, Income Inequality Thesis Statement, Lake Talquin Stumps, Replacing Battery In Amazon Tap, Nos4a2 Maggie Library Scene, History Of Occupational Therapy Essay, White Balinese Cat,

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *